[CentOS] CENTOS 5.5 segfault what it mean??

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Jul 27 15:46:39 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 27 July 2010, mcclnx mcc wrote:
> We have CENTOS 5.5 on DELL server and several ORACLE databases on version
> 10.2.0.4 and 11.1.0.7.  Recently I found following messages popup on
> /var/log/messages:
>

> Jul 26 16:28:03 ORA6 kernel: oracle[29286]: segfault at ...
>
> I can not find and trace file or core dump file on O.S. and ORACLE
> databases.  I also check hardware log and NO memory or disks error.
>
> Any ideal?

The OS noted that a process "oracle" with pid 29286 crashed (segmentation
fault). Not much more can be learned from only this. Can be an application
bug or pretty near anything else (segfault is essentially memory corruption,
but most commonly due to code bugs).

Turn to application level logs after ruling out hardware (which you seem to
have done).

/Peter