[CentOS] Wifi not working (Solved--Sort of...)

Phil Savoie psavoie1783 at rogers.com
Thu Jul 29 21:57:20 UTC 2010

> Doesn't it look like the wpa connection is successful?
> It says: " Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure)
> successful.  Connected to wireless network 'pszone'."
> Only stages 3/4 (the DHCP part) seems to fail...
> The DHCPDISCOVER times out.
> Google says that some people with linksys DHCP problems in linux rebooted it or
> flashed it...
>
> JD

Thanks for you reply. On further googling, I found that similar cards
had the same problem.  It seems that if one does a tcpdump in another
terminal while using NM it works.  I even got the latest firmware on the
router.

what works:

tcpdump -i wlan0 host <hostname>

Then run NM and voila! I was able to connect.  I wonder why the card has
to be in promiscuous mode to work?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Phil