[CentOS] When should LVM be used?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Fri Jul 30 13:33:49 UTC 2010

Ron Blizzard wrote, On 07/30/2010 01:37 AM:
> Is there any reason to use LVM on a personal desktop install of
> CentOS? It seems to me, for my purposes, that LVM is just a pain in
> the neck -- although I've always just let CentOS set it up during the
> install in the past.  I would like to be able to use parted to resize
> partitions when I want to, and also I'd like Vector Linux to be able
> to read and write data to the CentOS partition. Would I be missing
> something by not installing LVM, or is this mostly for server purposes
> anyhow?
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

Best use for LVM I have seen...
Reducing the number of times you need to enter the LUKS pass phrase to once per boot, i.e., one LUKS
containing an LVM of / and Swap so that the system can boot with one entry of the pass phrase and if
you then have other partitions, such as an independent /home, /etc/crypttab can be used (with
appropriately constructed and protected cryptpassphrase files).

--
Todd Denniston