[CentOS] A proposed CentOS mailing list FAQ

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri Jul 30 19:33:24 UTC 2010

 On 7/30/2010 3:05 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> First of all, I want to thank everyone who's responded so far - keep them
> emails coming, boys and girls! (Seriously - I mean it.)
>
> Next:
> Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> I threatened to do this a few months ago.... Here's a first draft. I
>>> was thinking of it as something that might get posted the beginning of
>>> the month, or sent to someone who drops in with "it doesn't work!!!".
>>>
>>>    PLEASE feel free, no, *please* rip, shred, tear, rend this, and help
>>> me make it usable.

>>> 2. We are not here to do your job for you. If you think we should,
> <snip>
>> First the negative comments.
>>
>> In (1), "if you want that, buy a RedHat subscription" is unnecessary.
> Why?
>> In (2), "If you think we should, perhaps you should pay us" is really
>> unnecessary.
> Again, why? *Part* of the reason are the folks who come on, and give us
> either a Windows user type of complaint (it doesn't work!), or who seem to
> want us to write them a step-by-step for what they need to do (and some of
> them have had RHCE and other certs to their sigfile, which tells us how
> solid those certs are), who obviously have never even *tried* to look for
> the answers.
>
> Some of us get irritated with that.

Agreed, but the phrases that Tom wanted removed give a whiny/defensive
tone.  Keep the main points, just remove those phrases and stick to
telling the poster what we want him to do.

Umm....   That would be www.pastebin.com...  :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pastebin

--
Bowie