[CentOS] When should LVM be used?

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 21:14:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com> wrote:

> You can use LVM for taking snapshots as well (very useful if you want to
> quiesce databases for the shortest possible time for backups) .  And you
> can use LVM to migrate data from an old drive to a new one or even to
> *shrink* a partition. I've never found LVM to 'be a pain'. 99% of the
> time it's invisible, and 1% of the time it's indispensable.

I guess my ignorance is showing. It could also be that the small hard
drives that I usually use with CentOS really can't take advantage of
this feature. So far I haven't done much with servers, but I have been
experimenting with Asterisk and plan to work through the "Foundations
of CentOS" -- so that should change.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.5