[CentOS] When should LVM be used?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jul 30 21:32:00 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Juergen Gotteswinter <jg at internetx.de> wrote:
>
> > * snaphotting (great for db backup)
> > * resizing partition
> > * "online" partitioning
>
> I didn't know LVM would do snapshots -- I'll have to look into that.
> But I'm guessing the feature is pretty much worthless if the whole
> hard drive is taken up by one LVM partition -- which has been my
> CentOS default setups.

Yes, the *default* setup is just plain wrong, and in general should NOT
be used. Yes, the default works (one big happy filesystem), and
actually might make sense for a virtual server, but otherwise no. See

http://www.deepsoft.com/2006/03/partitioning-for-linux/

for some thoughts on partitioning for Linux (also applies to LVM volumes).

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration