[CentOS] KVM virtual guest can not use serial port

Tue Jul 6 20:15:41 UTC 2010
Doug Coats <dcoatshca at gmail.com>

I hope this is not to far off topic.

I have a Windows 2003 guest on a CentOS 5.5 KVM host.  I need to use the
serial port on the win2003 guest for the application it is serving.

I have no idea what needs to be done but it looks like the linux host is
trying to use the serial port as the priamary console but I don't really
understand what that is or where it is configured.

What I need is for the host to ignore any traffice over the serial port and
to pass it to the guest.

On the host, ls -l /dev | grep ttyS, returns:
crw-rw----  1 root uucp   4,    64 Jul  6 10:17 ttyS0
crw-rw----  1 root uucp   4,    65 Jul  6 10:17 ttyS1
crw-rw----  1 root uucp   4,    66 Jul  6 10:17 ttyS2
crw-rw----  1 root uucp   4,    67 Jul  6 10:17 ttyS3
It only has 1 serial port so I don't know why ttyS1-S3 are listed.

On the guest it says that Com1 is configured and working properly.

On the Virtual Machine Hardware tab of the guest it lists a Serial 0.
Details:
Serial Device (Priamary Console)
Device Type: pty
Target Port: 0
Source Path: /dev/pts/2

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.  Thanks!!!