[CentOS] Re-exporting an NFS mount.. Possible?

Tue Jul 13 14:01:18 UTC 2010
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

I have an issue that is not all that unique, so I'm hoping someone has
done it before.

On the client end I have some very old RedHat based systems. On the
server end is a Windows 2008 system running NFS server software. The
clients mount the server resource as an NFS2 mount but some compliance
issues were discovered with the setup. For various reasons, updating
the client is not an option at this time. The fix the issue, the
server needs to export NFS3 mounts but the clients do not support that
version.  As a workaround, I considered adding a third system running
CentOS that would mount the server and re-export it to the clients.
This will mitigate the current issue related to visibility of the
share from certain groups.

It does not appear possible, using the current kernel-based NFS
server, to export an NFS-mounted filesystem. However, it appears that
there is a FUSE NFS project that might work.  Does anyone have any
experience with such a setup?