[CentOS] Smallest install?

Mon Jul 5 22:33:57 UTC 2010
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Stephen Harris wrote:

> I have a 500Mb ATA Flash drive in my machine.  If I deselect everything at
> install time (CentOS 5.0 - just for testing) it still requires 524Mb.  Is
> there any way of doing an even smaller install?

Run a pre 5 series install and it is straightforward to hold
size down

There are lower thresholds one cannot go below and still stay
wih current updates.  My article on 'tiny centos' provides
'slimming scripts' to trim away coherent sets to taste
while still satisfying dependencies
 	http://www.owlriver.com/tips/tiny-centos/

But to me, the question really is -- Is CentOS the right
distribution for this? -- a minimal Debian Testing install can
be made much smaller.  Just because one is familiar with
hammers does not mean one should be shaving cats with one

-- Russ herrold