[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

Thu Jul 8 17:17:33 UTC 2010
Alexander Georgiev <alexander.georgiev at gmail.com>

> Sorry for being to vague.
>
> Here is the XP Pro error I get when I try to join the domain.
> A domian controller for the domain admin could not be contacted.
> Esure that the domain name is typed correctly.
> If the name is correct, click on the Details for troubleshooting
> information.
>
> Details:
>
> Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are
> not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received
> this information, which has been recorded in the file
> C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
> The domain name admin might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the case,
> verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
> An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV)
> resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain admin.
> The error was: "No records found for given DNS query."
> (error code 0x0000251D DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS)
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.admin
> For more information, click Help.
>
> Here is the testparm -sv you requested.
>
> For a short explaination of the IP's listed.  We have two domains.
> One served by 192.168.6.1 and one by 192.168.5.1.  I am currantly upgrading
> the 192.168.6. network to Windows 7. Or atleast trying.  192.168.4.1 is our
> gatway and the two servers listed above act as file servers and routers for
> their domains.  I hope that makes sence.

It seems, that the samba domain controller 192.168.6.1 fails to
register with the WINS server - 192.168.4.1, and the XP station cannot
locate it. You'd better post your smb.conf file and verify if the
domain controller registers with WINS server.

Best regards,
Alexander.