[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

Thu Jul 8 18:15:31 UTC 2010
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 12:58 -0500, Doug Coats wrote:

>         His problem is WINS resolution doesn't tell the workstations
>         which
>         computer is the domain controller and that is what he needs to
>         fix
>         (first by designating a domain controller and then by making
>         sure that
>         WINS is functioning well).
>
>         Craig
>
> Thanks for all the help.  I agree that WINS seems to be the issue, or
> atleast it is a place that we can start with to help track down the
> issue.
>
> Currently 192.168.4.1 is the WINS server.  This is necessary because I
> need cross subnet brownsing between 192.168.6. and 192.168.5.
> According to the man page for smb.conf only one computer on your
> network can be a WINS server and this is the computer that all other
> computers have access to.
>
> That being said 192.168.6. and 192.168.5. are both PDC's for their
> subnet.  All I have done is moved the 192.168.6.1 configuration to a
> new machine.  Replaced that machine.  Removed Samba 3.0 and Installed
> Samba3x.
>
> How do I make sure that 192.168.4.1 recognizes 192.168.6.1 as the
> ADMIN PDC so that WINS traffic is directed correctly?
----
a 'network' is 192.168.x assuming that you are using class C subnet
masks (255.255.255.0) and so you should have a WINS server on EACH
network (192.168.4, 192.168.5, 192.168.6, etc.)

Cross network browsing is somewhat of a hit or miss and not reliable...
for a number of reasons such as the default firewall settings for
Windows systems will only allow network traffic to the immediate network
that it is on (i.e. 192.168.6)

The important thing is to get the WINS working on EACH network. It's
also easiest to have your PDC be the WINS server - period.

Also, a PDC must necessarily have...

domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logins = yes