[CentOS] OpenOffice.org 3.1 installation was corrupted-installed again, nothing in Applications/Office menu

Fri Jul 9 09:06:22 UTC 2010
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> I had a corrupted installation of OpenOffice.org 3.1.
>
> When I used "yum remove openoffice.org-core" the response was "package
> openoffice.org-core available but not installed", but then, when I
> used "yum install openoffice.org-core there was a long list of
> Transaction Check Errors. I then removed
> openoffice.org3.1-redhat-menus-noarch which was in the errors.
>
> Here's the first of those errors:
> Transaction Check Error:
>    file /usr/bin/soffice from install of
> openoffice.org-core-3.1.1-19.5.el5_5.1.i386 conflicts with file from
> package openoffice.org3.1-redhat-menus-3.1-9393.noarch

you are mixing two different sources for OO: some of your installed
packages come from the OO website, and you are trying to yum install the
centos version on top of that.
Either remove all traces of the non-centos rpms and then install with
yum, or stick to the ooo rpms and don't install the centos ones.
Watch out for openoffice.org-ure if you choose the second solution, that
particular rpm has the same name in both sources, but the version number
is higher in centos so yum might try to update it - and wreck your OO
install.