[CentOS] Simple solution for small network in a school ?

Sat Jul 10 15:21:37 UTC 2010
Eduardo Grosclaude <eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to install a small network in a school in a nearby village. The
> network will be Linux-only, one server and fifteen desktops. Here's the
> idea.
>
> 1) Authentication should be managed centrally on the server.
> 2) User home directories should also be on the server.
> 3) Users should all have disk quotas, something like 1 GB per user.
> 4) Some shared directories should be read/write for a defined group of
> users (teachers) and read-only for others.

We have a similar setup with OpenLDAP and NFS. Works OK, except all
directories defined are home to the users, and only their owner can
read them. Adding users or changing passwords is an admin-only hassle,
because we have never found a user management tool for LDAP which was
convincingly able to be given away to teachers.

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue