[CentOS] lm_sensors and Shuttle

Sun Jul 11 05:35:22 UTC 2010
S.Tindall <tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com>

On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 18:47 -0700, listmail wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:48:50 +0100, Ned Slider wrote
> > On 10/07/10 03:07, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> > >
> > > The version at ElRepo works with my Phenom II:
> > >
> http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el5/i386/RPMS/lm_sensors-2.10.8-2.el5.elrepo.i386.rpm
> > >

> > ELRepo also has a kernel module for the AMD K10 core temperature sensor:
> >
> > http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-k10temp
>
> Many thanks to both Yves and Ned for the pointers. After installing
> lm_sensors-2.10.8.-2 from elrepo, then installing the necessary drivers (also
> from elrepo) for the sensors on my Shuttle SA76G2, the readings are now
> available. For anyone else who runs into this, the SA76G2 needs the it87 and
> k10temp kernel drivers.
>
> Now I just have to get the ranges set correctly. Unfortunately, Shuttle
> publishes absolutely nothing in the way of documentation, and their tech
> support people refuse to provide information, claiming that it is proprietary.
> I guess I'll post it in their user forums once I figure which measurements are
> meaningful.

Since the elrepo kmod-k10temp/lm_sensors packages worked, then you may
also benefit from the elrepo kmod-powernow-k8 package.

With AMD Phenom II quad-cores running centos 5, kmod-powernow-k8
typically gives a 8-10C drop in core temperature at idle and a
significant reduction in power consumption at idle as described in this
centos bug report:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3766

You will also likely notice that your cpu fan slows down at idle. It is
worth installing the kmod if just to quieten down the cpu fan.

As per the bug report, this issue should be fixed in rhel/centos 5.6

Steve