[CentOS] Linux Kernel Physical Interface Limit

Wed Jul 14 15:57:23 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:52:02AM -0700, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> > Filed some bug reports, and it was evident from the response that very, very
> > few Linux users ever go>  4 eth's on a system. Thus the lack of properly
> > debugged IPv6 support for that then. Fortunately I don't (yet) need IPv6.
> > When I do, it'll be curious to see if the bug is still there.
>
> I've got six machines with 6 Gb interfaces (two on motherboard, 4 on a
> card) right now (the design called for 3 bonded pairs on separate nets
> for redundancy).  I haven't tried IPV6 on them. I had 'issues' with
> bonding and VMs though.

My trouble didn't involve bonding or VMs, just using 5 interfaces at once
(dual-homed WAN, DMZ, LAN, direct crossover failover backup). Having IPv6
turned on was screwing up using more than 4 for IPv4. Suspect it was a
kernel limitation that in likelihood is since fixed.

Whit