[CentOS] LDAP / NSCD shadow caching problem

Thu Jul 15 15:37:48 UTC 2010
Brian Marshall <neorosbob at gmail.com>

Yes but I have worked in many organizations that use directory services for authentication and my machines with them have always cached authentication data so I can login if I'm not online. I can't expect laptop users to always have a network connection. If Mac OS and Windows can manage to cache network authentication for offline use, I can't believe that linux does not have this capability.

Perhaps my wanting to cache my shadow data or use nscd for this purpose is not the correct way to achieve this. But the only other well discussed option I have found is nsscache which doesn't seem to work very well and their library doesn't seem to install on centos 5. Unfortunately I'm way to much of a hack C programmer to fix it, especially since they don't provide a configure file.

So, assuming maybe we put the conversation of nscd shadow caching aside and just talk about how to cache ldap data on a centos system so it can authenticate users in the absence of a network. Creating local passwd/group/shadow data is not an option.

Again, I can't stress this enough. I am convinced I am doing something wrong or going about this the wrong way. I'm just not understanding how to either fix the problem at hand or solve it another or proper way.

Any advice?

Thanks

Brian