[CentOS] Finding DHCP IP of guest system

Fri Jul 16 15:57:45 UTC 2010
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/2010 10:11 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>> Soon after I started using kvm and created guests with bridged
>> network, I asked the same question as yours. I have not been able to
>> find a clear answer to date.  If I'm not mistaken, there is no easy
>> solution as you suspected. The host has no knowledge of the guests'
>> IPs because an outside DHCP server (in my case at home, it is a
>> router/cable modem) provides the IP addresses. So, I've been using the
>> "console" method.
>
> Your router/cablemodem most likely has a web interface where you can
> find a log and a mapping of MAC addresses to the IP addresses it has
> given out.  You might even be able to configure it to syslog to your
> centos box.  You should also be able to see the DHCP traffic activity by
> running tcpdump or wireshark on the bridged host physical interface as
> the guest starts.

Sure, I can retrieve the info from my cable modem. I also tried
wireshark. I then decided looking at the console was much "quicker"
for me. But if I'm in a situation where the guests are constantly
created and there is a need for semi-automatic retrieval of guest's
IPs, I would spend some time for that.

Akemi