[CentOS] DSL battling rojter - help!

Sun Jul 18 16:34:06 UTC 2010
Mark <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com> wrote:

> What do you see with "ip ro ls"? Is there a default route?

Yes, but it's going to the router even when the router is not in the loop.

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:23 AM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok you getting a dhcp addy here?  Look at "system-config-network" your
> not getting a proper gateway or dns entry.  You will have to probaly
> define it manually as I've come to find out with many cheap routers or
> either this is a bug in linux.  Use "route" to check for the DFG.

route shows 192.168.0.2 (the router) as the DFG.

In s-c-n, the gateways are 192.168.0.2 & 192.168.0.1, in that order.

> If you Bridge the DSL to function as a Modem Only it does not matter
> that goes out the window.  It's no concern when your  in Routing Mode
> with the other.  But you can not have two same ips defined as your
> seeing so the bridge needs one for management and the router a different
> one. So one has to be changed.

According to AT&T, the modem has to be in PPP mode to work, and that
does work for XP

I changed the router to 192.168.0.2, but that has no effect when the
router is out of the loop.  I still can't get out thru the modem hrom
CentOS, with or without the router.

Without the router, is the modem the DFG?  If not, what is (or should be)?

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:37 AM, R-Elists <lists07 at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> realistically you are not getting any dns
>
> when in dhcp mode, the /etc/resolv.conf file typically will point to the
> router ip instead of real dns servers

I thought thot was working before....

> once you deal with that, you should be ok...
>
> thing is, if you stay in dhcp mode, the next time you dhcp or reboot, the
> resolv.conf will go back to pointing at the router ip to get dns

I expect it has, many times - wasn't a problem until now.

> so, as others mentioned, if you disable dhcp mode and hard code your ip,
> netmask, gateway, and resolv.conf file among other things, you will be ok

I was using a static IP with the router, but without it,...

Part of the problem is that these things come up so rarely I forget
the details in between, so how do I set the GW & netmask by hand?