[CentOS] freetype bytecode interpreter

Tue Jul 20 19:46:20 UTC 2010
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 07/20/2010 10:26 AM, R P Herrold wrote:

> Reading that and the companion mentioned in the last comment,
> my takeaway is that fonts in fedora are (or were) bad [I trust
> m miller's judgment here, and have for a long time, as he is
> a thoughtful analyst]

Which fonts?  All of the fonts I use on Fedora (pretty much all the
defaults) look significantly better than a default Windows desktop, and
better than OS X, IMO.

Just yesterday I was looking at this:
http://avi.alkalay.net/2007/01/freetype-with-bytecode-interpreter.html

The author believes that the BCI examples are much better.  Some of the
examples are maybe slightly better, but mostly just seem awful and
jagged to me.  I prefer the AA fonts, with or without BCI.  Commenters
appear to largely agree with me.

I'm sure that opinions vary, but I really don't think fonts on Fedora
are bad.