[CentOS] install on raid1

Fri Jul 23 15:43:34 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 7/23/2010 9:00 AM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Try something like this:
>>
>> Grub>device (hd0) /dev/sdb
>> Grub>root (hd0,0)
>> Grub>setup (hd0)
>
> His syntax shows the installation from within a grub prompt which is right,
> Yours looks more like what you use with grub-install. Regardless, his approach
> is how my kickstart has been doing it for years with success...

I think there may be differences in controllers and possibly in failure
modes as to whether the 2nd drive becomes seen as the first when the
first one fails.  But I'm not sure how to know this ahead of time or the
right syntax to use for each case.  And while the md devices will still
build out of the right pieces when they autodetect, you may also need to
adjust anything that uses the /dev/sd? names to account for them
shifting (or not) and be aware of it in any manual setup commands like
using mdadm to force partitions to be added if they didn't come up
automatically.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com