[CentOS] Enabling X on headless server via network

Sun Jul 25 17:17:35 UTC 2010
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> You need to be somewhat careful these days about things that came from
> centos-testing or extras as some now also appear in epel with the same names and
> version number that aren't likely to be coordinated.  I haven't seen anything
> actually break from this yet but have been surprised to see things originally
> installed from CentOS updating from EPEL.

Good point. While centos-testing and centosplus repos are disabled by
default, extras is shipped enabled. So, any 3rd party repo (including
EPEL) must be used with proper setup (priority plugin, include/exclude
lines, etc). I have added a note to the EPEL section at:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

EPEL is generally known to not overwrite distro files, but when it
starts showing conflicts with the CentOS extras repo, that needs an
additional note.

Akemi