[CentOS] Wifi not working (Solved--Sort of...)

Fri Jul 30 02:04:56 UTC 2010
Phil Savoie <psavoie1783 at rogers.com>

Ross Walker wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783 at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>> Doesn't it look like the wpa connection is successful?
>>> It says: " Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure)
>>> successful.  Connected to wireless network 'pszone'."
>>> Only stages 3/4 (the DHCP part) seems to fail...
>>> The DHCPDISCOVER times out.
>>> Google says that some people with linksys DHCP problems in linux rebooted it or
>>> flashed it...
>>>
>>> JD
>>>
>> Thanks for you reply. On further googling, I found that similar cards
>> had the same problem.  It seems that if one does a tcpdump in another
>> terminal while using NM it works.  I even got the latest firmware on the
>> router.
>>
>> what works:
>>
>> tcpdump -i wlan0 host <hostname>
>>
>> Then run NM and voila! I was able to connect.  I wonder why the card has
>> to be in promiscuous mode to work?
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Don't know, but I think there is an option you can put in your interface file to bring it up in promiscuous mode. Try that and see if NM can grab it on boot.
>
> -Ross

There used to be a PROMISC=yes setting I could have used int the
ifcfg-wlan0 file but is now unsupported according to
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.45.30/sysconfig.txt.

Thanks for trying though as it is appreciated.

Phil