[CentOS] A proposed CentOS mailing list FAQ

Fri Jul 30 19:05:23 UTC 2010

First of all, I want to thank everyone who's responded so far - keep them
emails coming, boys and girls! (Seriously - I mean it.)

Next:
Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>> I threatened to do this a few months ago.... Here's a first draft. I
>> was thinking of it as something that might get posted the beginning of
>> the month, or sent to someone who drops in with "it doesn't work!!!".
>>
>>    PLEASE feel free, no, *please* rip, shred, tear, rend this, and help
>> me make it usable.

>> 2. We are not here to do your job for you. If you think we should,
<snip>
> First the negative comments.
>
> In (1), "if you want that, buy a RedHat subscription" is unnecessary.

Why?

> In (2), "If you think we should, perhaps you should pay us" is really
> unnecessary.

Again, why? *Part* of the reason are the folks who come on, and give us
either a Windows user type of complaint (it doesn't work!), or who seem to
want us to write them a step-by-step for what they need to do (and some of
them have had RHCE and other certs to their sigfile, which tells us how
solid those certs are), who obviously have never even *tried* to look for
the answers.

Some of us get irritated with that.

> Second the positive comments.
>
> Overall, a very good undertaking.

Again, thanks. I'm thinking of this in the way of the FAQs we had/have on
usenet.

> In (4)
> - use a meaningful subject
> - separate opinion from fact
> - use a pastebin to post a full log

What's the link to pastebin (I always just cut&paste, and only give a few
relevant lines, with all the other kruft cut out, so I've never needed
it)?

         mark