[CentOS] When should LVM be used?

Fri Jul 30 21:11:17 UTC 2010
Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 6:18 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> LVM has a number of useful features and advantages.  The 'default'
> RedHat/CentOS LVM setup (basically creating one LVM volume taking up all
> available space for the root file system), is pretty useless.  With
> modern *large* disks.  LVM (if set up properly) allows creating and/or
> resizing logical disks without having to shutdown and/or rebooting the
> system.  This is often usefull for installing virtual processes (eg with
> xen).

Thanks. I don't know if my 160 Gig hard drive would qualify as a
modern *large* disk or not, but it's definitely bigger than the
current 20 Gig one.  I thought an external USB drive would work fine,
but I'm finding the current situation is too cramped.

Is there any way to mount an LVM partition from another Linux distribution?

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.5