[CentOS] A proposed CentOS mailing list FAQ

Sat Jul 31 12:23:58 UTC 2010
Geoff Galitz <geoff at galitz.org>

Oops, some copyediting of my previous post and the addition of a managed
services option to my FAQ suggestion follows:

I prospose rephrasing the above FAQ entries in a more neutral tone:

1) What are my Centos support options?

Generally speaking, you have three options:

  1) The centos-users mailing list.
       Developers, systems administrators and end-users all contribute on
the mailing list on a best effort basis.   Questions are answered as
people's time and experience allow.   This is a volunteer effort and there
are no guaruntees anything will be answered  or answered in a give time
frame,  though we do our best  and historically are quite good.

      It is strongly recommended you search the archives first, as you can
get an answer much faster and we can focus our time on new issues and
projects.

  2) The Centos IRC channel.
      The channel can be found on irc.freenode.net, channel #centos

      Same ground rules as the mailing list.

  3) Commercial support.
       There are a number of commercial support providers.  They are best
found by a search on your favorite search engine.  If you are open to not
running your own systems then subscribing to a managed hosting provider who
offers Centos as a platform is also a good option.  Again, refer to your
favorite search engine. Alternatively switching  over to Redhat Enterprise
Linux (RHEL) and purchasing a support contract is a good option.

If you require answers or support at a moment's notice, this is your best
option.

Insert links to mailing lists and other resources approprate....

I do think it is worth the effort to get this FAQ out.  Just because some
users will ask questions without reading does not mean they all will.  More
importantly, is it possible to get this FAQ sent to people immediately when
they subscribe to the mailing list?  That would get us a lot of bang for the
buck.

Just my two cents.