[CentOS] What is the best strategy for updating CentOS from 4 to 5?

Sat Jul 31 12:47:09 UTC 2010
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, John R Pierce wrote:

> From: John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] What is the best strategy for updating CentOS from 4 to
>     5?
>
>  On 07/30/10 10:26 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
>> No doubt I have waited just a little too long, but I think it is time to
>> upgrade before it is not supported.  My server is not heavily used
>> (mostly for viewing images) and my Admin skills are better than beginner
>> but NOT guru.
>
> backup your files, configurations, etc, wipe the system, clean install
> centos 5, restore your configurations and files.
>
> if all your user and server files are on seperate file systems from /,
> /var, /usr, then you may be able to leave them inplace as long as you're
> careful with the installer not to touch your data filesystems.

I have written a set of bash scripts to automate doing a
fresh installation of Centos 5.5 They were originally
written for Fedora 12, and have just finished doing a clean
installation run using them to install Centos 5.5 on my
laptop.

I went from F8 to F12 with these scripts, with no real
problems.

Anybody interested in a copy of them - they will be BSD or
similar license ?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts