[CentOS] Setting up a printer without having one

Marko Vojinovic

vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:07:35 UTC 2010

Hi folks! :-)

I am supposed to configure this fresh install of CentOS 5.5 to work
nicely with the HP 1010 printer, once it gets connected to the
computer (probably via usb, but I cannot be sure). The problem is that
I will not be anywhere near the machine when the printer actually gets
plugged in, and hp-setup refuses to do anything until that happens.

So how does one configure a to-be-used-in-the-future printer, without
actually having one plugged in? People who are going to use the
machine are noobs, and unlikely to be able to set up the printer
themselves, so it would be a good idea if I could do it in advance.

I haven't done anything like this before, and would be grateful for
any pointers.

TIA! :-)
Marko