[CentOS] GRUB, and how do I loathe thee

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Fri Jun 4 18:10:31 UTC 2010

I just adore the install. Esp. of GRUB.

Does *anyone* who works on GRUB actually work in the real world, and not
only on brand new machines?

I just had happen at work what happened last fall on my home system: then,
I had /dev/hda, and was trying a clean install on a new SATA drive; right
now, I'm installing on a replacement disk on a server that has no CD/DVD
drive from a USB key. My options: on my home system, it was MRR on
/dev/hda (which was being replaced, and was to become my backup drive),
and here, in the MBR of the USB key; in both cases, *only* in the first
sector of a partition on the new drive. I am NEVER OFFERED THE OPTION of
the MBR of the drive I'm installing to.

*snarl*

   mark "no grub, then linux rescue, then chcon, then grub install...
             I hope"