[CentOS] update from 4.8 to 5.4?

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri Jun 4 20:49:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 04:33:05PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> It is officially (according to RH, AFAIK) NOT recommended to go up a full
> release by update. Subreleases are fine, but you want a clean install for
> a new release (that is, 4.x to 5.x).

Ah, so that's still the RH way! That's why I left RH behind years ago, in
preference for Gentoo and then Ubuntu - both of which are largely very good
(although YMMV) at full release updates. Not that I'm finding any lack of
features to admire in the current CentOS (and RH) release. Just that it's
disappointing to know that, come version 6, if any of the new features are
srong reason to upgrade, my collection of CentOS and RH boxen'll have no
efficient path to be upgraded to it.

I was kind of hoping RH would have solved this old problem of theirs since
I've been away. Guess it's a feature, from their POV, not a bug. It's not
that their competitors don't have, occassionally, something small broken in
a full version upgrade. It's just that fixing whatever it is is far less
labor than what I put into customizing a clean install. I suppose for those
who just run a stock distro with one or two customized daemons it's not such
a big deal. That can't be the whole RH market though.

Whit