[CentOS] 194 Kernel Panic; 164 is Fine; How Do I Debug?

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 07:30:39 UTC 2010

Anyone recall what kernel runs on the centos 5.5 live cd? Might be worth
trying to boot off that to eliminate local config or modules as a problem
and confirm a kernel only issue.

James

Sent from Android mobile

On Jun 7, 2010 5:12 AM, "MHR" <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM, John Thomas

<gmane-2006-04-16 at jt-socal.com> wrote:

>> It sounds like you have a non-standard driver that is not compatible
>> with the latest kernel.
I'd run the 64-bit distro on an Opteron, not PAE or 32-bit.  That
shouldn't make a difference, but....

Have you checked your /lib/modules directories for non-standard
drivers?  If there are any, you might try disabling them and if that
works, put them back one at a time to see which one kills it.

I haven't done much with ELREPO, but I use the rpmforge nVidia driver
for my video card (a cheapo GeForce 7200gs) and it doesn't give me any
problems at all.

Do you know which motherboard you have?  I doubt that this would be
it, but it doesn't hurt to check.  Sometimes you need to turn on or
off certain switches (mine's an ECS GeForce 6100PM-M2, and I have to
turn off APIC because the motherboard goes haywire with it enabled).
I'd expect this to have shown up in earlier kernels.

You might see if Dell is any help....

Anyone else?

mhr