[CentOS] Booting into a shell and skipping init

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Wed Jun 9 17:24:11 UTC 2010

> I'm trying to boot into the shell of a XenServer 5.6 (I believe CentOS
> 5.5 underneath).  I added init=/bin/sh to the boot line, but I'm still

XenServer 5.6 is based on CentOS 5.4

   [root at penfold ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
   XenServer release 5.6.0-31188p (xenenterprise)
   [root at penfold ~]# rpm -q centos-release
   centos-release-5-4.el5.centos.1

Aren't you better off taking XenServer questions to the Citrix forums?
For example, the XenServer boot process uses extlinux and not grub;
here's an area where XenServer diverges from CentOS and so you may get
better answers from the correct support forum.

--

rgds
Stephen