[CentOS] md0 and moving to another system

aurfalien at gmail.com

Thu Jun 10 23:33:13 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I thought to have tested this a while ago but I guess not.

I have a Centos 5.3 system (call its SYSA) software raid 0, 2 disks.

I have an identical system (SYSB) else were, so I pull one of my
mirrors drives from SYSA and put it in SYSB as the only drive in SYSB.

Upon but I get grub error.

I boot in recuse mode (CD, linux rescue) and it attempts to mount the
disk, but claims no partitions exists.

I drop into a shell and mount it w/o issues.

Running fdisk on the drive tells me its got 2 partitions which is true.

I set this up as ext3, no LVMs, etc... with root and the other
partition being swap.

I've always thought that all I can do in the event of motherboard
failure os to have a duplicate system around and merely move a dive
off to it.

- aurf