[CentOS] was, 5.5 & gspca, is software development

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 14 20:11:56 UTC 2010

Ned wrote:
> On 14/06/10 20:24, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>> By the way, what is "rolling development"? Does this mean that there are
>> *no* releases, or version numbers? If so, how can I tell what was the
>> last stable version, and what is where they started adding features for
>> the next release?
>
> There is no last stable version, releases or version numbers in much the
> same way that the kernel has no version numbers for the vast majority of
> individual drivers it contains. People fix bugs and add features as
> necessary on a continual basis. Rhetorical: What would you propose -
> every Monday at noon everything stops for an hour while they take a
> snapshot and call it "STABLE". That is what I mean by rolling development.

In fact, done having (among many other hats) been software configuration
management for something like a dozen years, in companies ranging from a
microscopic one with 12 folks to moderate group in Ameritech (a Baby
Bell), that's EXACTLY what I'd do... except you seem to have missed the
part where each module was tested, first separately, then integration
test, and it all works, bugs that were scheduled to be fixed in this
release fixed, all new features scheduled for this release in, and
*that's* where the snapshot's done.

Y'know, sort of like, um, the CentOS 5.5 release.
<snip>
         mark