[CentOS] Remote X connection to CentOS 5.5 using Xming -ac

Alexander Farber alexander.farber at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 19:32:05 UTC 2010

Hello Brian,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you setup X11 forwarding in PuTTY, then double-click on a saved
> putty session, it will clear out the X11 forwarding and use the
> settings from the saved session (no X forwarding).  If X forwarding is
> properly enabled, you should not have to set the DISPLAY variable on
> the remote side.
>
> You don't need the X server or anything else on the remote server.
> Default firewall will have no effect either.  Also, make sure to
> reload sshd after changing the settings (service sshd reload).

I've tried both cleared and set X11 forwarding
checkbox in PuTTY, both as root and non-root
and only get:

$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm:  DISPLAY is not set

In the Xming log nothing happens at all (attached below).

Is maybe WinXP firewall inbetween, do I need to open
some port? (Xming asked me to do that during its startup,
and I did so - clicked the "Unblock" button)

Regards
Alex