[CentOS] Remote X connection to CentOS 5.5 using Xming -ac

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 19:41:44 UTC 2010

On 6/15/2010 2:10 PM, Alexander Farber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've rented a dedicated root server (SR7 at strato.de)
> and would like to run qemu at it, but get the error:
>
>   # qemu -hda install.img -cdrom install47.iso -boot d
>   Could not initialize SDL - exiting
>
> It seems that I have to establish X connection,
> so I've installed Xming at my WinXP laptop
> and at the server I have changed these 3 lines
> in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

What you are doing should work if putty is really forwarding, but if you
intend to do much remote X work, I'd recommend installing the freenx
package on the CentOS side and running the windows NX client that you
can download from http://www.nomachine.com.  The only quirk I've found
is that it generates a unique keypair during the install so you need to
cat /etc/nxserver/client.id in a putty session, and cut/paste it into
the nx client config (click configure, then the 'key' button).  It takes
care of running over the ssh port for you and gives much better
performance than normal remote X access.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com