[CentOS] recognizing correct number of cores on CPU

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jun 18 15:21:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Jerry Geis wrote:

> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
>> On Friday 18 June 2010, Jerry Geis wrote:
>>
>>> I just installed centos 5.5 x86_64 on a new HP laptop.
>>> It has the core i5 processor.
>>>
>>> only 1 cpu is detected should be 2.
>>>
> dmesg is :
>
> Linux version 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 (mockbuild at builder10.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)) #1 SMP Thu May 13 13:08:30 EDT 2010
> Command line: ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet noapic acpi=off apci=off

I'll admit that I've never had to resort to "acpi=off", but my
multi-core system all boot with a dmesg that says

   Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information

In particular, your system reported

> SMP: Allowing 0 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs

That doesn't look right. It should report that it allows multiple
CPUs.

Can you boot this system without turning off acpi?