[CentOS] Upgrade

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jun 18 16:45:08 UTC 2010

> I am currently running CentOS 4.5 (which, through many Yum updates) now appears to be CentOD 4.8.
>
> 4.8 is still rather old, but I havbe lots of stuff (files and stuff installed). I would like to install Fedora but I am worried about losing
> all the stuff I have. I would have to back everything up, uninstall/reinstall
> things, etc. I am wondering whether there is some way to upgrade to Fedora
> from CentOS without just having to reinstall everything?

You really *should* back everything up and do a fresh install of Fedora
(or CentOS 5.5), then re-install your extra packages.  You really don't
want to upgrade in place, unless you really, really, know what you are
doing and/or are willing to live with various (subtle) problems caused
by possibly incompatible 'leftover' packages.

Hint: Having a separate file system for /home is a *good* thing.  Having
/usr/local on a separate file system also is gravey on the side... (for
web servers /var/www, for mail servers /var/spool/mail, etc.).