[CentOS] Ganglia

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Fri Jun 18 18:58:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:25:56AM -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> To get 3.1.7? Disregarding that, I should jump through the hoops of
> recompiling a F13 RPM rather than just compile from the tar? Why? Every
> extra stage like that introduces the chance of incidental errors, of stuff
> that doesn't translate precisely through that stage. I'm not doubting it
> generally can work, just that there's anything "proper" about it. Generally
> native source is the gold standard. The farther upstream you go, the better
> the quality gets, the more bugs are fixed, and the more control you have
> over how and where the stuff installs on your systems.

	You really believe this?  If so, why do you bother with CentOS,
	or any package managed distro?  Native builds are *never* the
	way to go, but I quite refuse to waste my time pointing out the
	many drawbacks of such compared to taking a few moments to
	properly - yes, *properly* - make SRPMs and and rebuilding
	*those* on the target platforms.

	The "gold standard" is that procedure, not building source kits
	that can, and *will* walk all over the rest of your system.
	Just because it may not have happened yet is nothing but pure
	luck.

> There can be an argument that for some stuff that passes through RHEL the
> extra attention adds some quality control (ignoring the counterexample of
> the long history of RH manging kernels; they seem to have gotten better
> about that lately), but stuff in EPEL? Really?

	Some quality control?  Really?  I can see this discussion is
	going no where and you have your mind made up.

							John
--
He may be mad, but there's method in his madness.  There nearly always is
method in madness.  It's what drives men mad, being methodical.

-- G. K. Chesterton, The Fad of the Fisherman (1922)