[CentOS] Upgrade

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri Jun 18 18:59:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:29:32PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> And as others have said, /home, and maybe /opt, should *always* be other
> drives, or at least other partitions....

Kind of makes you wonder why RH's default install is to shove everything but
boot into one partition these days, doesn't it? In trying to make everything
immune from the most clueless users - who might (horrors) make a partition
too small - RH defaults to something other than time-honored old-school best
practices. Yeah, I never accept the defaults. But I'm not the only guy who
ever installs RH or CentOS in my shop, and getting everyone else up to speed
on this sort of thing only annoys 'em. They tend to take it on faith that
the defaults are sane. They should at least come with a warning label: "This
is our default, but if you know what you're doing, you really should
override."

Regards,
Whit