[CentOS] Upgrade

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jun 18 19:32:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 15:17 -0400, Rob Kampen wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> > > Kind of makes you wonder why RH's default install is to shove everything
> > > but boot into one partition these days, doesn't it? In trying to make
> > > everything immune from the most clueless users - who might (horrors) make
> > > a partition too small - RH defaults to something other than time-honored
> > > old-school best practices. Yeah, I never accept the defaults. But I'm not
> > >

> > Very, dare I say it?, Windows-ish. On the other hand, for an enterprise
> > O/S, I would sorta-kinda assume that /home was being NFS-mounted. Just
> > about everywhere I've worked, it is.
> > <snip>
> >
> Not trying to hijack but this last comment has provoked a question.
> <hijack>
> If you have multiple CentOS machines that you regularly log onto and
> use, and these share a common /home/username (via NFS or other SAN
> mechanism) how do the various .xxxx files manage to work - aren't
> there potential conflicts?
> I have two CentOS 5.5 workstations with dual monitors (different sizes
> though) and another machine with only a single display - wouldn't this
> cause issues? Unfortunately I do not have enough experience to know
> what all these various . files contain - if they're only personal
> preferences and totally unrelated to the hardware then well and good -
> can someone confirm before I migrate my /home onto my main server and
> NFS mount it. TIA

I have multiple machine that share /home via NFS.  Some have dual
displays and some don't.  The "normal" behavior for me is that the
single-head boxes just ignore the configuration for the second display.
Otherwise they all run the same.  Note that these are all CentOS 5
machines that get updates applied pretty much all at the same time.

As always, YMMV. ;>