[CentOS] Using a composite device under Centos 4.8 - no mouse clicks

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Sun Jun 20 01:38:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 09:06:53PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > Now if I plug this adapter into a Centos 4.8 machine both the keyboard
> > and mouse are detected... but mouse clicks aren't.  I can move the mouse,
> > the scroll wheel works, but buttons 1/2/3 aren't detected.  Neither in X
> > nor in console gpm.
>
> Wondering: it might work with CentOS 5.5...  Centos 4.8 is getting long
> in the tooth, partitularly for bleeding edge hardware...

It probably will; it works fine with the X installer from a 5.4 DVD
(and it fails to work with the 4.8 installer - so the installer matches
the final build in the 4.8 case).

However the existing machine I want to use the keyboard on is already
configured and running 4.8 (it's a work machine, initially installed as
4.1 or maybe even just 4) and I'm not willing to spend the time needed
to rebuild it as a 5.5 machine and then reinstall and add 5+ years of
customisation... maybe if I had more than 5 minutes of free time in my
working day, but I can't afford the downtime the rebuild would require
(I'm lucky if I can even do a yum update when the next version comes out!)

--

rgds
Stephen