[CentOS] Increasing NFS Performance

sorrillo at jlab.org sorrillo at jlab.org
Tue Jun 22 03:35:45 UTC 2010

What kind of local(on the box themselves) read/write speeds are you
observing.
What is the specs on your server: memory, # cpus, cpu speeds, any raid?
What kind of remote access read/write are your observing? Try doing a dd
or something to get a ball park idea.

To first order in NFS performance tuning:
1. rsize,wsize are the most important. Generally for linux this is 32k.
2. The number of nfsd threads can't help also.

but this is after you have obtain some numbers for your performce(like
also "top" and/or iostat when your server seems real slow  and when your
performance is good...you have to quantify your observations to really get
meaningful help.

~Lawrence