[CentOS] Antwort: umask not functioning with cp command

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 12:16:13 UTC 2010

From: Andreas Reschke <Andreas.Reschke at behrgroup.com>
>> James Corteciano <james at linux-source.org>
>> $ umask 0002
>> $ mkdir test
>> $ ls -ld test
>> drwxrwxr-x 2 user user 4096 Jun 23 19:04 test/
>> $ls -ld content
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 4096 Jun 23 19:29 content
>> $ cp -r content test/
>> $ls -ld test/content
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 4096 Jun 23 19:29 content
>> My question is, how can I make content directory permission mode to
>> 775 if I do cp inside the test directory?
> in this case, you must copy with cp -p (or better
> -a same -dpR) to preserve all atributes.
> man cp

-p preserves the source permissions...
In this case, he wants the target directory to inherit its permissions from its parent...
And I think Unix doesn't support the idea of inherited permissions (except for the sgid bit).
Is running a simple 'chmod 775 test/content', after the cp, not an option...?

JD