[CentOS] Virtualization as cheap redundancy option?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 16:03:09 UTC 2010

Brian Mathis wrote:
>>> That is pretty much what we see. Sometimes we leave the machine on
>>> through several days if there was no changes to what we are doing on
>>> it and sometimes the VM freezes after a few days. Had appeared random
>>> because anyone of us could have restarted the VM during the week so
>>> those lock up probably happened when none of us did.
>> Is this with VMware Server 2.x?  I have machines with the 1.x version (some one
>> Centos3, some on Centos5) that run more or less forever without issues. Also,
>> the ESXi version is even better if you are only using it to host VMs.
>>

> Yes, this problem is with Server 2.x only.

It is still probably reasonable to install the latest 1.x you can find - you
just have to have the matching client to access the console remotely.  But, I
normally only use the client to get to the point where the network is up and I
can go to the guest directly with ssh/freenx/vnc.  The only problem I ever see
on those VMs is instability in the clock - but the real fix is to use ESXi
instead with everything running as guests.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com