[CentOS] Virtualization as cheap redundancy option?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 23:11:50 UTC 2010

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 6/26/10, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this with VMware Server 2.x?  I have machines with the 1.x version (some
>> one
>> Centos3, some on Centos5) that run more or less forever without issues.
>> Also,
>> the ESXi version is even better if you are only using it to host VMs.
>
> Yes, version 2.x
>
> Could you please elaborate on the "only using it to host VM" part?
> Does it mean ESXi doesn't play well if say some other service like
> vnc/freenx/ftpd is running off the same machine?Thanks! :)

ESXi installs on the bare metal instead of some other OS - and thus is able to
do a better job of managing the VMs than something working on top of some other
OS's drivers.  You don't even use the console except for the initial install and
some very minor commands - you have to have a windows machine to run the remoete
console client for the real setup and control work and to get the consoles of
the guest machines.  However, it isn't necessary to keep the client connected
all the time and you can arrange direct vnc/ssh/freenx access to the guests once
the network is up.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com