[CentOS] Upgrading MySQLdb

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 14:30:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com> wrote:

> (Wouldn't it be nice if CentOS had 2.6.5 instead 2.4.3? Python improved
> dramatically between those two. My systems all get Python 2.6.5 alongside
> 2.4.3 because (a) 2.6.5 has a lot of useful features I'm not going to refuse
> to use just for CentOS purity, and (b) it's easier to write Python
> 3.x-compatible code in 2.6.5. Now, if I were going through the package
> management system to build 2.6.5 wouldn't that risk _confusing_ the CentOS
> stuff with dependencies on 2.4.3 where simply installing to /usr/local/
> appears to nicely avoid that?)

On the surface, yes. However /usr/local/bin is in the $PATH first,
ahead of /usr/bin by default. so anything that doesn't call
/usr/bin/python directly causes issues. This is also a common support
theme on irc. Mostly because yes, it would be nice for a newer python,
but that will be coming in 6.x

George Orwell