[CentOS] Upgrading MySQLdbyg

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 28 18:57:12 UTC 2010

R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Y'know, I sorta like that idea - say, a script or program that you can
>> hand it info, such as if you've just built PHP the way I mentioned, and
>> have it be added to the rpmdb. That would also let you know if you did a
>> yum updgrade, and if a newer version than what you'd build had been
>> added to the regular distro.
>
> and this random guessing and recordatation to pollute the RPM
> database "varies from ** and ** is better than" using a
> package built from a pre-defined recipe driven by a .spec
> file, just how?

Well, when it insists on building in /usr/src/redhat, and then cannot find
a std. include file (config.h, down in, say,
/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.3.1.el5/build/include/linux/config.h), as happened
to me a week or two ago.... I'd *MUCH* rather have one directory, with
everything in it related to whatever I was building, and have *one* place
to tell it what it needed to find (such as the above).

> packaging is not rocket science; building packages from a spec
> file and tarball and patches is profusely documented
>
> All RPM needs is for people to read and use the tools, and all
> this is done well presently

Right. And the folks who build packages and don't even consider the
possibility of looking at a *higher* subrelease of a library (had that a
number of times). We won't even begin to talk about python....
<snip>
         mark