[CentOS] CentOS MD RAID 1 on Openfiler iSCSI

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jun 28 20:12:43 UTC 2010

On 28/06/2010 20:55, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I think he is looking for redundant, failover remote storage (i.e.
> mirrored copies from different iscsi hosts).  Sort of like DRBD but with
> both copies remote.  I think is should work but the timing might be
> tricky on retries vs. failure on the iscsi connections.

yes, thats what I run. We import 5 remote iscsi connections that come
from 5 different hosts, and mdraid10 them locally on one machine - thats
our 'storage' box. Each of the 5 machines doing the iscsi target exports
run raid-0 themselves across 4 disks.

As long as latency is kept low, things work fine. The DM/MD stack works
fairly well even when individual block devices tend to have slightly
different traits. eg.  when you have a mix of 5900 and 7200 rpm disks in
the same machine.

- KB