[CentOS] CentOS MD RAID 1 on Openfiler iSCSI

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Jun 29 15:12:19 UTC 2010

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 6/29/10, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> gluster don't care about underlying filesystem...it don't support acl
>> yet for a reason
>
> Could you elaborate on that? Although at the moment I don't appear to
> have a need for ACL on the storage, it is always good to be aware of
> any potential pitfalls.

No POSIX acl support let alone NFSv4 ACL support. The sole reason why I
have not yet gone Linux samba frontends and OpenSolaris ZFS backends
glued together with Gluster. It does support POSIX permissions but that
is not specific enough nor close enough to the NTFS security.

Other than that, I would have given GlusterFS a go a long time ago.

>>> I think I might be overcomplicating things here.
>>>
>>> Reading up more on gluster, it seems that I could simply put a gluster
>>> client on the application server, mount a volume mirrored on from two
>>> gluster servers and let gluster handle the failover transparently.
>> /me nods
>
> Thanks for the confirmation :)
>
> Also just for the benefit of whoever else in the future looking at the archives
> Just found this link which seems to confirm that Gluster can be used
> to share active/active failover storage to multiple machines by
> running it on the machines themselves and gives the steps/command to
> do it on cloud VM.
>
> http://rackerhacker.com/2010/05/27/glusterfs-on-the-cheap-with-rackspaces-cloud-servers-or-slicehost/

Define cheap. Like these...er...hmm...creative chums here?

http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

Or how about 7850USD for a 4U, 36 bay ( loaded with 12 x 1TB - not going
full out :-( ), multipathing dual SAS host controller + sas backplane, 4
port GB Intel NIC + dual GB Intel NIC, 16GB ECC DDR2 RAM, multiple HT3
links, dual 6 core cpu box? Future 45 bay 4U SAS storage box possible too.

No, not putting Centos 5 on that. :-( Not trusting raid5/6.
raidz2/raidz3 it is going to be.