[CentOS] security compliance vs. old software versions

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jun 30 21:22:06 UTC 2010

John Jasen wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Frank Cox wrote:
<snip>
> Forgive the minor nit, and hopefully not continuing the talking past
> each other, but modern printers have more computer resources than a
> smart phone, and the embedded OS is either equally as complex or an
> embedded braindead version of Windows.
>
> In other words, they are assets worth protecting.

So, you're saying protection is more important than having them usable for
the folks whose use they were bought for? You're saying that we should
just get rid of them, and buy less capable printers that can't do as much?
Even when the only way to get to the existing printers is from a system
that's *inside* the firewall, and on our network? Hey, how 'bout I just
unplug them from the network altogether? They'll be doorstops, but they'll
be "secure".

      mark